11 Stocking Stuffers from The Science Shop at Science Museum Oklahoma
The Science Shop at Science Museum Oklahoma has a treasure trove of stocking stuffer-sized activities, projects, games and books that will keep little hands (with big minds!) busy on Christmas morning and let parents get a few extra winks of sleep! Need a gift for a science lover? Check out our top 12 gifts for 2016.
Check out 11 of our favorites below and come see us at The Science Shop for more stocking stuffer inspiration.
1. “Who Was” Biography Books: Young readers can learn about scientists, astronauts, explorers and inventors like Marie Curie, George Washington Carver, Thomas Edison, Sally Ride, Ben Franklin, Galileo, Jacques Cousteau, Albert Einstein and more in the "Who Was" biography series.
2. Hexbugs: These palm-sized robotic creatures behave like real bugs! Pick from beetles, fire ants, spiders and worm-like creatures and get feline friends in on the fun with a Hexbug mouse!
3. KidzLabs: Big science in a small package! Mine a crystal, project the moon onto your ceiling, unpack a zero-gravity rover, keep a volcano in your pocket, send a submarine into the bathtub, turn a lemon into a clock battery, make a micro rocket, break a dinosaur out of its egg and more – The Science Shop has more than a dozen KidzLabs to pick from.
4. nanoblocks: Micro-sized building blocks come together in pocket-sized kits to create dinosaurs like Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus rex, plus peacocks and song birds, a chameleon, a French bulldog, and even an astronaut! Bigger sets build motorcycles, spaceships, rockets, the Eiffel Tower and beyond.
5. Schleich Dinosaurs: Love SMO's Red Dirt Dinos? Pick from more than two dozen hand-painted dinosaur figurines of all shapes and sizes and bring the dinos home.
6. Metal Earth 3-D Metal Model Kits: Punch out metal pieces to build the Apollo Lunar Rover, a Stegosaurus, a Triceratops or a bicycle!
7. Crazy Aaron’s Thinking Putty: A toy? A stress ball? Both! Crazy Aaron’s Thinking Putty comes in dozens of colors. Pick a magnetic, glow-in-the-dark, heat-sensitive or UV-reactive putty for extra fun.
8. Planet and Space Projector Domes: Budding-astronomer? Project images of space objects and planets with the touch of a button or when the dome comes in contact with water.
9. Astronaut Ice Cream: Ice cream the way the astronauts eat it — freeze-dried!
10. Plus-Plus: Simple shape + imagination = endless possibilities. Mix and match colors to make 2-D mosaics or 3-D models. Create a herd of multi-colored cows, build a car from the ground up, or grow a garden of Plus-Plus flowers. Pieces are identical, interchangeable and great for imaginations of every age.
11. Crystal Growing Kits: Grow a crystal that takes the shape of a cactus, a cherry tree, a giant sequoia, a golden aspen or a volcano!
Why shop SMO? Members always get 10% off of regularly priced Science Shop purchases, and shopping SMO is shopping local! Every purchase supports the programs and exhibits at Science Museum Oklahoma.
The Science Shop is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday. Admission to the museum is not required to visit the shop.